Put in your info to get the occasional update, some free things, rants about plants, and other fun stuff.
Last Updated: September 3, 2020
Table of Contents
- What data do we collect?
- How do we collect your data?
- How will we use your data?
- How do we store your data?
- How will we share your data?
- Your choices
- What are cookies?
- What types of cookies do we use?
- How to manage your cookies
- Other sites and services
- International data transfer
- Security practices
- How to contact us
What data do we collect?
Our company collects personal information, cookie data, and/or device data you either directly or indirectly provide to us through interaction with our brand. Such data includes:
- Contact data, such as your first and last name, email address, mailing/delivery addresses and phone number.
- Profile data, such as username and password that you use to create an online account with us, as well as information you provide to complete your customer profile, such as your birthday.
- Order data, such as which products you purchased, which locations you purchased from, and on what dates and time you placed orders with us.
- Transactional data, such as an anonymized token that is passed through our credit card processing system to enable your bank or credit card company to charge your card upon placing an order.
- Communications records, such as when you reach out to our customer service representatives, request IT support, write a review, or engage with us on social media.
- Marketing data, such as your contact preferences for receiving marketing and brand communications from us or on our behalf, which designated marketing area you reside in, how you engage with our digital media and with our brand on social media platforms, and information you’ve provided to us to complete your marketing profile, complete a survey, or enter a contest, giveaway or sweepstakes.
- Demographic data about your age and gender preferences.
- Device data, such as what computer or mobile device and which operating systems you are using when you interact with our brand.
- Usage data, such as your IP address and cookie data from other websites you visited prior to visiting Roots’ website.
- Online activity data, such as the webpage(s) you visited with on our website, the date, time and length of your visit, and in which order you visited multiple pages on our website.
- Geolocation data, enabled when you allow our mobile application to access your location.
- SDKs (software development kits), which enable third-party partners to collect data directly from our mobile application used to facilitate online advertising
- Data collected from third parties, such as social media platforms, third-party delivery services, or our loyalty platform, Thanx.
How do we collect your data?
You directly provide Roots with most of the data we collect at such times as when you:
- Register or place an order online or through our mobile app
- Voluntarily complete a customer survey or provide feedback on any of our message boards or via email
- Use or view our website via your browser’s cookies
How will we use your data?
Roots collects your data so that we can use it for the following purposes or as otherwise described to you at the time of collection:
- Provide, operate, maintain and improve the website and mobile application
- Process and fulfill your order(s) and any related payments
- Create and administer your account
- Research new and existing market opportunities
- Improve our products, services, user experience, and brand aesthetic
- Address you with messages and special offers we think you might like, delivered via email, digital media, mobile app push notification marketing, and/or text messages
- Protect our, your or other’s rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims)
- Audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies
- Protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft
- Comply with applicable laws, lawful requests and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities; and
- For other purposes with your consent.
How will we share your data?
- We may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our business or assets, including your personal information, in connection with a business transaction (or potential business transaction) such as a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy or dissolution.
- We may share your personal information with third party companies and individuals that provide services on our behalf or help us operate our website and mobile application (such as customer support, hosting, analytics, email delivery, marketing, and database management services).
- We may share your personal information with our business partners, such as our delivery partners (including, but not limited to, Uber Eats, DoorDash, GrubHub and Postmates) and our loyalty partner (currently, Thanx).
- We work with third-party advertising partners to deliver advertising and personalized content to you on the website and mobile application, on other sites and services you may use, and across other devices you may use.
- We may disclose your personal information to professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services they render to us.
- We may disclose your personal information as we believe appropriate to government or law enforcement officials or private parties (a) for the compliance and protection purposes described above; (b) as required by law, lawful requests or legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities; (c) where permitted by law in connection with any legal investigation; and (d) to prosecute or defend legal claims.
Access or update your information. If you have registered for an account with us, you may review and update certain personal information in your account profile by logging into the account, or by contacting us at email@example.com.
Marketing. Roots would like to send you information about products and services of ours that we think you might like, as well as those of our partner companies:
- Third-party delivery services (including but not limited to Uber Eats, DoorDash, GrubHub, and Postmates)
- Our third-party loyalty provider, Thanx
If you have agreed to receive marketing, you may always opt out at a later date.
You have the right at any time to stop Roots from contacting you for marketing purposes; provided, however, that you may continue to receive service-related and other non-marketing emails.
If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please click here.
Advertising choices. You can limit use of your information for interest-based advertising by:
- Mobile device settings. Using your mobile device settings to limit use of the advertising ID associated with your mobile device for interest-based advertising purposes.
- Platform settings. Using Google’s and Facebook’s interest-based advertising opt-out features:
- Google: https://adssettings.google.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/about/ads
- Ad industry tools. Opting out of interest-based ads from companies participating in the following industry opt-out programs:
- Network Advertising Initiative: http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
- Digital Advertising Alliance: optout.aboutads.info, which lets you opt-out of interest-based ads on websites.
The opt-out preferences described above must be set on each device for which you want them to apply. Not all companies that serve interest-based ads participate in the ad industry opt-out programs described above, so even after opting-out, you may still receive some cookies and interest-based ads from other companies. If you opt-out of interest-based advertisements, you will still see advertisements online but they may be less relevant to you
Do Not Track. Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” or similar signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Declining to provide your personal information. If you do not provide information indicated as required or mandatory, or that is otherwise necessary to provide a requested service or feature, that portion or all of our services may be unavailable to you and we may deactivate your account.
What are Cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log information and visitor behavior information. When you visit our websites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology. For further information, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Gauging your interest in our product
- Determining which users might be interested in receiving marketing communications in the form of digital media
- Keeping you signed in
- Understanding how you engage with our website
- Utilizing user behavior statistics to improve our website functionality
What types of cookies do we use?
There are a number of different types of cookies, however, the Roots website uses:
- Functionality – Roots uses these cookies so that we recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences. These could include what language you prefer and location you are in. A mix of first-party and third-party cookies are used.
- Advertising – Roots uses these cookies to collect information about your visit to our website, the content you viewed, the links you followed and information about your browser, device, and your IP address. Roots may share some limited aspects of this data with third party partners for advertising purposes. We may also share online data collected through cookies with our advertising partners. This means that when you visit another website, you may be shown an advertisement based on your browsing patterns on our website.
How to manage cookies
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, and the above website tells you how to remove cookies from your browser. Please note, however, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result of disabling cookies.
International data transfer
We are headquartered in the United States and have service providers in other countries, and your personal information may be transferred to the United States or other locations outside of your state, province, or country where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your state, province, or country.
The security of your personal information important to us. We take a number of organizational, technical and physical measures designed to protect the personal information we collect, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no security safeguards are 100% secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your information.
We do not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 13. If a parent or legal guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with any personally identifiable information without such parent’s or legal guardian’s consent, he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with any personally identifiable information, we will promptly delete such information and the child’s account.
Other sites and services
The Roots website and mobile application may contain links to other websites and services operated by third parties, such as social media platforms, advertising services and other websites and applications. These links are not an endorsement of, or representation that we are affiliated with, any third party. We do not control third party websites, applications or services, and are not responsible for their actions. Other websites and services follow different rules regarding their collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. We encourage you to read their privacy policies to learn more.
How to contact us